Make a positive impact on the environment by becoming a certified environmental educator with our endorsement.
Environmental Education Endorsement (P-12) Overview
As climate change evolves into a bigger concern and a constant topic of conversation, the need to educate students about the environment becomes more important. Campbellsville University’s online environmental education certification will teach you how to teach relevant environmental issues. As an environmental educator, you will be able to better approach environmental issues within the classroom and provide students with the necessary guidance so they can become more aware of the environmental issues they face daily.
The certification covers mankind’s relationship with the environment, current environmental problems and the ecology of freshwater lakes and rivers. In addition, you will examine the religious, ethical, political and social concerns facing man and the environment in a historical context. You will also study the history and philosophy associated with environmental education and the current methods utilized in environmental education instruction.
Our online environmental education certification can be completed independently or in conjunction with the master’s in education teacher leader or Rank I master’s in school improvement programs. Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Campbellsville’s education programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and are approved by the Education Professional Standards Board of Kentucky (EPSB) for teacher education and certification. The fully online program gives you the opportunity to complete your studies during your own time and wherever you wish. Additionally, the program’s faculty have real-world experience in the field.
Our online environmental education certification takes approximately one year to complete and is made up of 12 credit hours. The four courses must be taken in sequence.
- ED/ENV 540: Foundations of Environmental Education
- ED/ENV 542: Environmental Education Instruction & Materials
- ENV 584: Environmental Ethics and Contemporary Issues
- BIO 516: Stream Ecology for Teachers
In order to apply to Campbellsville University’s accredited environmental education certification, prospective students must submit or complete the following:
- Complete the online application
- Official Transcript Request Form (via Adobe Sign). In most cases, this will allow us to request your transcripts on your behalf.
- All official college transcripts, confirming a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 or a 3.0 on the last 30 hours
- Copy of teaching certificate
- Submission of a complete statement of purpose regarding enrollment in the certificate program
*Some additional requirements will be requested upon acceptance into the program.
Costs & Financial Aid
The environmental education certification costs $310 per credit hour. In order to help students afford their education, Campbellsville University’s staff is available to work with students to discover available financial aid options.
Students can transfer a maximum of nine credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university.
Campbellsville University is a military-friendly school and a proud member of the Yellow Ribbon program. Students who are currently serving at home or abroad or are veterans can further their education in a conducive online environment.
Careers in Environmental Education
Graduates of our environmental education certification are able to pursue a career as an environmental science teacher. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, environmental science teachers at colleges and universities earned a median annual salary of $76,360 as of May 2017.
Why CU Online?
Focused on Your Growth
Our well-rounded education in the arts and sciences is central to our goal of fostering your personal and professional growth.
Founded in 1906 as a Christian university, we welcome diverse perspectives and prepare students to become Christian servant leaders.
Affordable and Convenient
Campbellsville seeks to provide an affordable education for its students. Our online degree programs are in a convenient format so you can study whenever and wherever you want.
Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates, associate, baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the status of Campbellsville University.
Benefits of Learning Online
Campbellsville University offers several dynamic online degrees so that students can continue their education and hone their skills. Campbellsville’s online campus has been recognized as one of the best by numerous outlets. The institution’s faculty members have real-world experience in their fields, so students can get a glimpse of working in their prospective career. Students can also conveniently fit online coursework into their busy schedules.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
- Yes. We offer a generous transfer policy for our online degree programs. Visit our Transfer Students page for more information.
- Yes. You will have to complete the FAFSA form, and we will then determine your eligibility for any financial aid. Visit our financial aid page to learn more about your options, which include scholarships and grants.
- You can apply to our online degree programs through the online application form. Remember to submit official copies of your high school and/or college transcripts, along with any other required documentation that is specific to your degree program. You can visit the admissions process page to learn more about what to expect throughout the process.