Become deeply rooted in the Montessori philosophy and methods of early childhood education while acquiring hands-on experience in the classroom.
Master of Education (M.Ed) Montessori Teacher Education Overview
Earning Campbellsville University’s Montessori degree online gives you the chance to develop the skills for education and classroom leadership while studying the foundations of the Montessori philosophy. You will then learn how to apply that philosophy toward educating students through self-expression, collaboration and discovery. The fully online graduate program is deeply rooted in Christian values and ethics that you will be able to integrate into your teachings.
The online Montessori program is perfect if you are a Montessori-credentialed educator working with students or if you work with students in a non-educational capacity. The program allows you to deepen your knowledge of the educational philosophy to meet your job’s demands. A teaching certification is not required for admission into the program.
This Montessori graduate program includes a four-week summer institute that can be completed 100% online. You will learn the history, theory, philosophical underpinnings and educational foundations of the Montessori approach to early childhood education. In addition, you’ll explore the foundations of special education while focusing on inclusive early childhood practices. You will also examine advanced child development, special topics in early childhood education, the various research methods and procedures related to education and the global perspectives in early childhood.
Additionally, you will complete four practicum courses that take place within a Montessori classroom under the supervision of a teacher and university supervisor. The practicums emphasize developing observation, assessment, classroom management and teaching skills, parent communication and lesson development and implementation.
The professors for our Montessori degree online program all have real-world Montessori education experience. Campbellsville University is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
The Master of Education in Montessori Teacher Education (M.Ed. – MTE) graduate program prepares candidates who have completed a bachelor’s degree to earn an early childhood teaching certificate that is recognized by Montessori schools across the U.S. and internationally. The online Montessori training program takes just over a year to complete. This full-time degree includes a four-week summer institute held 100% online.
The M.Ed. – MTE consists of 36-42 graduate credits plus written and oral examinations and a professional portfolio. The coursework includes a professional education core of nine to 15 credits designed to broaden candidate’s knowledge of research, current trends in early childhood and best practices in inclusive education. The Montessori core consists of 21 credits of Montessori philosophy, curriculum and methods, observation, classroom management and leadership coursework. An additional six credits are earned in a Montessori practicum consisting of 550 hours completed in a continuous nine-month segment.
- ED 599: Entry to TP
- IEC 630: Advanced Child Development
- IEC 516: Inclusive Education*
- ED 605: Research Methods & Procedures
- IEC 540: Advanced Positive Behavior Supports*
- IEC 625: Global Perspectives in Early Childhood
- IEC 690: Special Topics in IECE*
* Taken if needed with advisor approval
- IEC 525: Foundations in Montessori Education
- IEC 526: Montessori Practical Life/Culture Methodology*
- IEC 527: Montessori Sensorial Methodology*
- IEC 528: Montessori Language and Literacy Methodology*
- IEC 529: Montessori Math Methodology*
- IEC 570: Observation, Assessment & Management
- IEC 650: Classroom Leadership in Montessori Programs
* Taken during a four-week summer institute on Campbellsville University’s main campus.
- IEC 598: Montessori Practicum I
- IEC 599: Montessori Practicum II
- IEC 698: Montessori Practicum III
- IEC 699: Montessori Practicum IV
In order to apply to Campbellsville University’s accredited online Montessori program, prospective students must submit or complete the following:
- Complete the online application
- Official college transcripts with a complete record of all courses attempted from each college or university attended
- Three (3) professional recommendations
- Criminal background check
- If GPA is lower than 2.75, GRE and/or interview may be required
Costs & Financial Aid
The Montessori master’s degree costs $299 per credit hour. In order to help students afford their education, Campbellsville University’s staff is available to work with students to discover available financial aid options.
A maximum of nine credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university can be transferred into this program.
Campbellsville University is a military-friendly school and a proud member of the Yellow Ribbon program. Students who are currently serving at home or abroad or are veterans can further their education in a conducive online environment.
Careers in Teaching
Graduates of Campbellsville's online Montessori program can apply their knowledge to a few careers in education. Potential career outcomes include:
- Montessori teacher educator
- Children's ministry director
- Montessori school administrator
Why CU Online?
Focused on Your Growth
Our well-rounded education in the arts and sciences is central to our goal of fostering your personal and professional growth.
Founded in 1906 as a Christian university, we welcome diverse perspectives and prepare students to become Christian servant leaders.
Affordable and Convenient
Campbellsville seeks to provide an affordable education for its students. Our online degree programs are in a convenient format, so you can study whenever and wherever you want.
Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates, associate, baccalaureate, master's and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the status of Campbellsville University.
Benefits of Learning Online
Campbellsville University offers several dynamic online degrees so that students can continue their education and hone their skills. Campbellsville’s online campus has been recognized as one of the best by numerous outlets. The institution’s faculty members have real-world experience in their fields, so students can get a glimpse of working in their prospective career. Students can also conveniently fit online coursework into their busy schedules.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
- Yes. We offer a generous transfer policy for our online degree programs. Visit our Transfer Students page for more information.
- Yes. You will have to complete the FAFSA form, and we will then determine your eligibility for any financial aid. Visit our financial aid page to learn more about your options, which include scholarships and grants.
- You can apply to our online degree programs through the online application form. Remember to submit official copies of your high school and/or college transcripts, along with any other required documentation that is specific to your degree program. You can visit the admissions process page to learn more about what to expect throughout the process.
- To become a Montessori educator, you will need a bachelor's degree followed by specialized training in Montessori theory, approaches, philosophy and educational foundations. Campbellsville University's online M.Ed. in Montessori Teacher Education graduate program provides the knowledge and skills you need for this rewarding education career path.