Become certified to teach English as a second language with our ESL endorsement online program.
ESL Endorsement (P-12) Overview
Campbellsville University’s ESL endorsement online program provides you with the necessary skills and knowledge of how to better reach ESL students. The certification focuses on success strategies such as immersion and sheltered English. There are 15 credit hours of study, plus a 30-hour field experience component that is built into the curriculum. You can complete the endorsement as part of a teacher’s master’s of arts in education, as an advanced level certification or as an add-on endorsement.
The ESL endorsement online program will explore how language is learned and how to better teach the English language. It will also provide you with an understanding of diversity in foundational belief systems and world views. You will get an introduction to the teaching of the ESL skill set, which includes reading, writing, oral skills and vocabulary. In addition, you’ll study the principles and practices of second-language classrooms, standardized testing and the assessment of proficiency levels for initial placement. You will also discover the tools and methods for effectively teaching English as a second language using both commercial and teacher-made materials and gain hands-on experience in developing materials for teaching reading, writing and grammar.
Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Campbellsville’s education programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and are approved by the Education Professional Standards Board of Kentucky (EPSB) for teacher education and certification. The online degree offers the flexibility and convenience of being able to complete coursework when it best fits your schedule while you learn from professors who have real-world experience.
Our fully online ESL endorsement consists of five courses that total 15 credit hours. The certification can be finished in as little as one year, with each course taking eight weeks to complete.
- TSL 510: Language and Culture
- TSL 640: Second Language Acquisition
- TSL 650: ESL/EFL Assessment
- TSL 660: Materials and Methods I
- TSL 661: Materials and Methods II
In order to apply to Campbellsville University’s accredited ESL endorsement online, prospective students must submit or complete the following:
- Complete the online application
- Official Transcript Request Form (via Adobe Sign). In most cases, this will allow us to request your transcripts on your behalf.
- All official college transcripts, confirming a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 or a 3.0 on the last 30 hours
- Copy of teaching certificate
- Submission of a complete statement of purpose regarding enrollment in the certificate program
*Some additional requirements will be requested upon acceptance into the program.
Costs & Financial Aid
The ESL endorsement online costs $299 per credit hour. In order to help students afford their education, Campbellsville University’s staff is available to work with students to discover available financial aid options.
Students can transfer a maximum of nine credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university.
Campbellsville University is a military-friendly school and a proud member of the Yellow Ribbon program. Students who are currently serving at home or abroad or are veterans can further their education in a conducive online environment.
Careers in ESL
Upon completion of our ESL endorsement, you will have the credentials necessary to teach English as a second language. The median salary for ESL teachers is $40,680 per year, according to PayScale. Annual wages for the career can vary depending on location, experience and the school. The average salary for entry-level ESL teachers is $39,000 a year, and ESL teachers with more than 20 years of experience earn an average of $52,000 per year.
Why CU Online?
Focused on Your Growth
Our well-rounded education in the arts and sciences is central to our goal of fostering your personal and professional growth.
Founded in 1906 as a Christian university, we welcome diverse perspectives and prepare students to become Christian servant leaders.
Affordable and Convenient
Campbellsville seeks to provide an affordable education for its students. Our online degree programs are in a convenient format so you can study whenever and wherever you want.
Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates, associate, baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the status of Campbellsville University.
Benefits of Learning Online
Campbellsville University offers several dynamic online degrees so that students can continue their education and hone their skills. Campbellsville’s online campus has been recognized as one of the best by numerous outlets. The institution’s faculty members have real-world experience in their fields, so students can get a glimpse of working in their prospective career. Students can also conveniently fit online coursework into their busy schedules.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
- Yes. We offer a generous transfer policy for our online degree programs. Visit our Transfer Students page for more information.
- Yes. You will have to complete the FAFSA form, and we will then determine your eligibility for any financial aid. Visit our financial aid page to learn more about your options, which include scholarships and grants.
- You can apply to our online degree programs through the online application form. Remember to submit official copies of your high school and/or college transcripts, along with any other required documentation that is specific to your degree program. You can visit the admissions process page to learn more about what to expect throughout the process.