M.A. Teaching P-5 Overview
The Master of Arts in Teaching – Elementary Education (Kindergarten through 5th grade) online from Campbellsville University is structured to give a platform for those who want to pursue a career in teaching. In 18 months, you can move through the program to gain the skills you’ll need to support elementary school students. Christian values heavily inform the curriculum designed by elementary school educators with extensive experience in the field. In addition, these educators will provide mentorship opportunities to help you develop servant-leadership skills that will prepare you to thrive in your classroom.
In the Master of Arts in Teaching Elementary Education, you will gain the skills and competencies needed to support student learning. The program will provide you real-world experience with the student-teaching requirement through student teaching experience or job placement as a classroom teacher. With the help of a faculty advisor, you will gain hands-on training in a classroom that a certified teacher supervises. You will also have the opportunity to engage with the program’s practicum component. In this capacity, you will develop a dynamic portfolio that incorporates the culmination of your experiences as a student teacher.
Ultimately, you will have the opportunity to earn certification as an elementary school teacher (Kindergarten through 5th grade) in Kentucky when you graduate. As a certified elementary school teacher, you will organize and implement innovative teaching methods that will help you reach and motivate students. You will also be able to work with diverse student populations and perform above the standards outlined by the state. Please note: Preschool/early childhood certification is not included in the P-5 Elementary Education degree. For information on the early childhood education certification, please visit the MAT IECE program page.
Once you graduate with an online Master of Arts in Teaching elementary education, you will:
- Pursue your teaching career in elementary school settings in your desired subject area
- Utilize relevant up to date teaching and instructional methods to ensure student success
- Support disenfranchised and marginalized students
- Develop effective assessment to promote student learning outcomes
Campbellsville’s education programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and are approved by the Education Professional Standards Board of Kentucky (EPSB) for teacher education and certification.
The Master of Arts in Teaching Elementary Education online includes 36 to 42 credit hours, depending on if you are completing the Option 6 program. Sixteen weeks of student teaching are required for traditional students.
- ED 604 Introduction to Teaching
- ED 500 Human Growth & Development
- ED 606 Educational Technology
- ED 704 Nature and Needs of Diverse Learners
- ED 660 Formative Assessment and Intervention
- ED 656 Effective Skills for Today’s Educators
- ED 605 Research Methods and Procedures
- ED 631 Elementary Social Studies Methodology
- ED 641 Elementary Mathematics Methodology
- ED 643 Elementary Science Methodology
- ED 651 Elementary Reading and Language Arts Methodology
- ED 607 Graduate Practicum/Seminar*
- ED 608 Student Teaching**
*Option 6 students
**Students in the traditional program
To apply to Campbellsville University’s Master of Arts in Teaching Elementary Education online, future students must submit or complete the following:
- Complete the online application
- Official Transcript Request Form (via Adobe Sign). In most cases, this will allow us to request your transcripts on your behalf.
- All official college transcripts from each college or university previously attended and currently attended.
- 2.75 overall GPA from their undergraduate studies or a 3.0 in their last 30 hours.
- Must have at least a bachelor’s degree in the field in which the applicant wishes to teach.
*Some additional requirements will be requested upon acceptance into the program.
Costs & Financial Aid
The Master of Arts in Teaching Elementary Education online costs $319 per credit hour. In order to help students afford their education, Campbellsville University’s staff is available to work with students to discover available financial aid options.
A maximum of 12 credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university can be transferred into this program.
Campbellsville University is a military-friendly school and a proud member of the Yellow Ribbon program. Students who are currently serving at home or abroad or are veterans can further their education in a conducive online environment.
Careers in Teaching
By getting your Master of Arts in Teaching Elementary Education online, you'll be able to advance your career as an elementary school teacher. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, elementary school teachers earn a median annual salary of $60,660, and positions in the field are expected to continue growing by 4% through 2029.
Why CU Online?
Focused on Your Growth
Our well-rounded education in the arts and sciences is central to our goal of fostering your personal and professional growth.
Founded in 1906 as a Christian university, we welcome diverse perspectives and prepare students to become Christian servant leaders.
Affordable and Convenient
Campbellsville seeks to provide an affordable education for its students. Our online degree programs are in a convenient format, so you can study whenever and wherever you want.
Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates, associate, baccalaureate, master's and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the status of Campbellsville University.
Benefits of Learning Online
Campbellsville University offers several dynamic online degrees so that students can continue their education and hone their skills. Campbellsville’s online campus has been recognized as one of the best by numerous outlets. The institution’s faculty members have real-world experience in their fields, so students can get a glimpse of working in their prospective career. Students can also conveniently fit online coursework into their busy schedules.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
- Yes. We offer a generous transfer policy for our online degree programs. Visit our Transfer Students page for more information.
- Yes. You will have to complete the FAFSA form, and we will then determine your eligibility for any financial aid. Visit our financial aid page to learn more about your options, which include scholarships and grants.
- You can apply to our online degree programs through the online application form. Remember to submit official copies of your high school and/or college transcripts, along with any other required documentation that is specific to your degree program. You can visit the admissions process page to learn more about what to expect throughout the process.