Acquire the necessary skills to identify and evaluate the needs of students with moderate and severe disabilities with our online special education certification program.
Certificate – Moderate & Severe Disabilities (P-12) Overview
Campbellsville University’s online certification in moderate and severe disabilities prepares you to identify and assess the needs of students with physical disabilities, mental challenges or autism spectrum disorders and plan their instruction and assessments. You will learn the instructional models, classroom strategies and characteristics related to students with moderate and severe disabilities. You will also study the characteristics and prevalence of students with autism spectrum disorder. You’ll explore the best practices for instruction planning and the research-based strategies for communication and social interactions with regard to sensory differences. Additionally, the fully online curriculum allows you to study whenever it’s convenient to you, and you’ll learn from faculty members who have real-world experience in education.
In addition, our online special education certificate program teaches you about applied behavior analysis; the interconnections between biological, cognitive, social and emotional disorders; and the community agencies and services that work with children and young adults who have moderate and severe disabilities and their parents. The certification includes a practicum that provides real-world opportunities in which you can apply your knowledge and skills into practice with students.
You can choose one of three options for completing the program: certification only (21 credit hours), as a certification component to the Master of Arts in Special Education Teacher Leader program (30 credit hours) or as a specialty option for the Master of Arts in School Improvement Rank I program (30 credit hours).
Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Campbellsville’s education programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and are approved by the Education Professional Standards Board of Kentucky (EPSB) for teacher education and certification.
Seven classes totaling 21 credit hours make up the online certification for moderate & severe disabilities. The certification takes approximately a year to complete.
Take all of the following:
- SED 720: Curriculum & Instruction for MSD and Autism Spectrum Disorder
- SED 730: Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorders
- SED 740: Assistive Technology & Communication Interventions for Students with MSD
- SED 750: Transition and Other Services for Students with Moderate and Severe Disabilities
- SED 760: Applied Behavior Analysis
- SED 770: Assessment of Individuals with Moderate Severe Disabilities
- SED 780: MSD Graduate Practicum
In order to apply to Campbellsville University’s accredited special ed. certificate online, prospective students must submit or complete the following:
- Complete the online application
- Official Transcript Request Form (via Adobe Sign). In most cases, this will allow us to request your transcripts on your behalf.
- All official college transcripts
- 2.75 overall GPA from their undergraduate studies or a 3.0 in their last 30 hours
- Master’s degree or planned fifth-year program
- Copy of teaching certificate with LBD certification
- Submission of a complete statement of purpose regarding enrollment in the certificate program
*Some additional requirements will be requested upon acceptance into the program.
Costs & Financial Aid
The online special education certificate program costs $299 per credit hour. In order to help students afford their education, Campbellsville University’s staff is available to work with students to discover available financial aid options.
Students can transfer a maximum of nine credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university.
Campbellsville University is a military-friendly school and a proud member of the Yellow Ribbon program. Students who are currently serving at home or abroad or are veterans can further their education in a conducive online environment.
Careers in Special Education
After earning this special ed. certificate online, you can pursue a career as a special education teacher. As of May 2017, special education teachers earned a median annual salary of $58,980, and employment for the position is expected to grow 8 percent through 2026, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Why CU Online?
Focused on Your Growth
Our well-rounded education in the arts and sciences is central to our goal of fostering your personal and professional growth.
Founded in 1906 as a Christian university, we welcome diverse perspectives and prepare students to become Christian servant leaders.
Affordable and Convenient
Campbellsville seeks to provide an affordable education for its students. Our online degree programs are in a convenient format so you can study whenever and wherever you want.
Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates, associate, baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the status of Campbellsville University.
Benefits of Learning Online
Campbellsville University offers several dynamic online degrees so that students can continue their education and hone their skills. Campbellsville’s online campus has been recognized as one of the best by numerous outlets. The institution’s faculty members have real-world experience in their fields, so students can get a glimpse of working in their prospective career. Students can also conveniently fit online coursework into their busy schedules.
Test Drive an Online Course
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
- Yes. We offer a generous transfer policy for our online degree programs. Visit our Transfer Students page for more information.
- Yes. You will have to complete the FAFSA form, and we will then determine your eligibility for any financial aid. Visit our financial aid page to learn more about your options, which include scholarships and grants.
- You can apply to our online degree programs through the online application form. Remember to submit official copies of your high school and/or college transcripts, along with any other required documentation that is specific to your degree program. You can visit the admissions process page to learn more about what to expect throughout the process.