Explore advanced counseling theory and strategies for connecting with students with the online Master of Arts in Education in School Counseling.
M.A. Education – School Counseling (P-12) Overview
The online master’s in school counseling from Campbellsville University gives you the knowledge and skills that school guidance counselors need to meet the diverse academic, social, emotional and career needs of students. With a curriculum that is deeply rooted in ethical and Christian values, you will be able to transform the lives of students upon your graduation from the fully online program.
Through the program, you’ll learn how to infuse Christian principles into your practice and how to assist students and their families with navigating systems and finding the resources they need. You’ll explore topics such as substance abuse, group counseling and college readiness. The master’s degree teaches the history, philosophy and modern trends in school counseling and educational systems, as well as the ethical and legal considerations related to school counseling. Additionally, you will develop an understanding of the cultural context of relationships while addressing societal changes, influences and trends.
The master’s degree includes three internships that provide hands-on real-world experience in a supervised school guidance counseling setting using applicable professional resources. Two of the internships consist of 100 hours of clinical fieldwork, and the last internship includes 200 hours of fieldwork.
Our online master’s degree in school counseling was developed by practicing and retired school guidance counselors and administrators. Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Campbellsville’s education programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and are approved by the Education Professional Standards Board of Kentucky (EPSB) for teacher education and certification.
The online master’s degree in school counseling is made up of 48 credit hour and takes as little as 18 months to complete. The program incorporates three internships that each include at least 100 hours of clinical school counselor fieldwork. The online educational administration master’s program is offered as a traditional or option 6 program.
Note: After successfully completing 32 hours in the program, candidates will be eligible to apply for rank change without counselor certification. The degree can advance a Rank III to a Rank II or a Rank II to a Rank I in Kentucky.
Take all of the following:
- SGC 500: Counseling Theory and Practice I
- SGC 510: Foundations of Leadership and Ethics in School Counseling
- SGC 511: Developmental Guidance for Elementary School Counselors
- SGC 512: Developmental Guidance for Middle/High School Counselors
- SGC 513: College and Career Readiness for All Learners
- SGC 514: Internship in School Counseling I (1.5 credits)*
- SGC 515: Internship in School Counseling II (1.5 credits)*
- SGC 516: Internship in School Counseling III (3 credits)**
- SGC 520: Human Development
- SGC 523: Counseling Skills
- SGC 530: Counseling Students Impacted by Substance Abuse
- SGC 531: Group Counseling
- SGC 532: Students Victimized by Crisis and Abuse
- SGC 540: Tests and Measurements
- SGC 570: Cultural Competency
- SGC 665: Research Methods
- SGC 670: Action Research Practicum I (1.5 credits)
- SGC 675: Action Research Practicum II (1.5 credits)
* Internship includes 100 hours clinical school counselor fieldwork.
** Internship includes 200 hours clinical school counselor fieldwork.
In order to apply to Campbellsville University’s accredited online master’s in school counseling, prospective students must submit or complete the following:
- Complete the online application
- Official Transcript Request Form (via Adobe Sign). In most cases, this will allow us to request your transcripts on your behalf.
- All official college transcripts from each college or university previously attended and currently attended
- 2.75 overall GPA from their last completed degree
- Copy of teaching certificate (for those applying for Rank I only)
- One page rationale essay for graduate study
- Submit two names and email addresses of a colleague and of a supervisor to your enrollment counselor for School of Education requirements
*Some additional requirements will be requested upon acceptance into the program.
Costs & Financial Aid
The online master’s degree in school counseling costs $299 per credit hour. In order to help students afford their education, Campbellsville University’s staff is available to work with students to discover available financial aid options.
A maximum of 12 credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university can be transferred into this program.
Campbellsville University is a military-friendly school and a proud member of the Yellow Ribbon program. Students who are currently serving at home or abroad or are veterans can further their education in a conducive online environment.
Careers in School Counseling
After completing the online master’s in school counseling, you will have all the skills you need to pursue a career as a school counselor. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that school counselors made a median annual salary of $55,410 as of May 2017, and employment is expected to increase 13 percent through 2026. In addition, the BLS states that school counselors in elementary and secondary schools earned more than those employed at colleges and universities.
Why CU Online?
Focused on Your Growth
Our well-rounded education in the arts and sciences is central to our goal of fostering your personal and professional growth.
Founded in 1906 as a Christian university, we welcome diverse perspectives and prepare students to become Christian servant leaders.
Affordable and Convenient
Campbellsville seeks to provide an affordable education for its students. Our online degree programs are in a convenient format so you can study whenever and wherever you want.
Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates, associate, baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the status of Campbellsville University.
Benefits of Learning Online
Campbellsville University offers several dynamic online degrees so that students can continue their education and hone their skills. Campbellsville’s online campus has been recognized as one of the best by numerous outlets. The institution’s faculty members have real-world experience in their fields, so students can get a glimpse of working in their prospective career. Students can also conveniently fit online coursework into their busy schedules.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
- Yes. We offer a generous transfer policy for our online degree programs. Visit our Transfer Students page for more information.
- Yes. You will have to complete the FAFSA form, and we will then determine your eligibility for any financial aid. Visit our financial aid page to learn more about your options, which include scholarships and grants.
- You can apply to our online degree programs through the online application form. Remember to submit official copies of your high school and/or college transcripts, along with any other required documentation that is specific to your degree program. You can visit the admissions process page to learn more about what to expect throughout the process.