Develop the skills necessary to help young children build a strong foundation and love of learning with our online MAT in Interdisciplinary Early Childhood Education degree.
M.A. Teaching, Early Childhood Education Overview
Preschool and kindergarten teachers hold significant positions in any public school system. With Campbellsville University’s online childhood education degree, you will gain the skills you need to impact a child’s life and future. The program is perfect for those who have a bachelor’s degree in early childhood and are seeking certification and a position teaching preschool or kindergarten in public schools. Upon completion, you will have earned both your teaching certification and a master’s degree at the same time.
Our online MAT degree in early childhood education incorporates Christian principles into the curriculum as you learn the various advanced curriculum and methods utilized in early childhood education, global perspectives in early childhood and advanced child development. Additionally, you’ll explore the skills necessary for collaboration and communication within early childhood education, as well as how technology can play a role in the classroom. You will also be able to choose an elective that will help you achieve your career goals, including courses that examine autism spectrum disorder and learning disabilities, teaching kindergarten and leadership of early childhood education programs.
There is a 16-week student teaching requirement for those who are not Option 6 students. Option 6 students have to complete the graduate practicum/seminar course, in which they apply instructional knowledge in a field-based setting and receive cognitive coaching from colleagues.
Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Our online MAT degree is also accredited by CAEP, the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation. The fully online program offers the flexibility and convenience of completing coursework when it best fits your schedule. In addition, the program’s faculty members have real-world experience in the field of early childhood education.
The online childhood education degree consists of 36 credit hours, 39 credit hours if Option 6. Those taking the Option 6 program must complete a graduate practicum/seminar, while those on the traditional degree program will complete student teaching. The program takes approximately two years to complete.
- ED 605: Research Methods and Procedures
- IEC 580: Advanced Curriculum & Methods I
- IEC 581: Advanced Curriculum & Methods II
- IEC 625: Global Perspectives in Early Childhood
- IEC 626: Collaboration & Communication in IECE
- IEC 628: Inst. Strategies for Literacy, Reading and Language Arts
- IEC 630: Advanced Child Development
- IEC 660: IECE Assessment & Intervention
- IEC 685: Integrated Technology & Curriculum
- ED 607: Graduate Practicum/Seminar (Option 6 only)
- ED 608: Student Teaching (not required for Option 6)
- IEC 520: Teaching Kindergarten I*
- IEC 521: Teaching Kindergarten II*
- IEC 627: Leadership of IECE Programs
- SED 697: Learning Disabilities
- SED 730: Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorders
- SED 760: Applied Behavior Analysis
- IEC 604: MAT Practicum I
- IEC 605: MAT Practicum II
- IEC 606: MAT Practicum III
* Required if student has not completed IECE 420 or equivalent. Additional undergraduate courses may be required to meet bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education equivalency.
In order to apply to Campbellsville University’s accredited online childhood education degree, prospective students must submit or complete the following:
- Complete the online application
- Official Transcript Request Form (via Adobe Sign). In most cases, this will allow us to request your transcripts on your behalf.
- All official college transcripts from each college or university previously attended and currently attended
- 2.75 GPA or higher (or 3.0 on last 30 hours)
- One page rationale essay for graduate study
- Passing scores on Subject Area and Praxis CORE/CASE (Core Academic Skills for Educators)
- Praxis CASE (Core Academic Skills for Educators)
- Praxis 5733 – Math (passing – 150)
- Praxis 5713 – Reading (passing – 156)
- Praxis 5723 – Writing (passing – 162)
- Praxis CASE (Core Academic Skills for Educators)
- Submit three names and email addresses of professional and/or academic references to your enrollment counselor for School of Education requirements.
*Some additional requirements will be requested upon acceptance into the program.
Costs & Financial Aid
The online MAT degree in early childhood education costs $299 per credit hour. In order to help students afford their education, Campbellsville University’s staff is available to work with students to discover available financial aid options.
A maximum of 12 credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university can be transferred into this program.
Campbellsville University is a military-friendly school and a proud member of the Yellow Ribbon program. Students who are currently serving at home or abroad or are veterans can further their education in a conducive online environment.
Careers in Early Childhood Education
Graduates of Campbellsville's online early childhood education degree can apply their knowledge to various careers in education. Potential career outcomes include:
- Preschool teacher
- Kindergarten teacher
- Childcare center director
- Early childhood education specialist
Why CU Online?
Focused on Your Growth
Our well-rounded education in the arts and sciences is central to our goal of fostering your personal and professional growth.
Founded in 1906 as a Christian university, we welcome diverse perspectives and prepare students to become Christian servant leaders.
Affordable and Convenient
Campbellsville seeks to provide an affordable education for its students. Our online degree programs are in a convenient format so you can study whenever and wherever you want.
Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates, associate, baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the status of Campbellsville University.
Benefits of Learning Online
Campbellsville University offers several dynamic online degrees so that students can continue their education and hone their skills. Campbellsville’s online campus has been recognized as one of the best by numerous outlets. The institution’s faculty members have real-world experience in their fields, so students can get a glimpse of working in their prospective career. Students can also conveniently fit online coursework into their busy schedules.
Test Drive an Online Course
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
Students who wish to use financial aid will need to start by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Once a FAFSA is submitted, Campbellsville will receive it after you are accepted into the University. Campbellsville’s Financial Aid Office will review your FAFSA for any missing documents, and proceed with creating an award package for you. You will then have the option to accept or decline what you are offered.
CU offers a variety of tuition payment arrangements such as: by month, by semester, by academic year. These arrangements are made through Student Accounts Office which can be reached at 270-789-5203.