Change the lives of young students and earn initial licensure to teach elementary school in Kentucky with the online elementary education degree from Campbellsville University.
B.S. Elementary Education (P–5) Overview
The online Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (P–5) from Campbellsville University provides the interdisciplinary knowledge, skills and experience you need to become a certified elementary school teacher in Kentucky. While the program requires clinical experiences, the coursework and format are 100% online. You can complete your degree in four years or less depending on the number of transfer credits.
The curriculum is focused on preparing you to successfully teach all elementary school subjects. You will also study classroom management, learning theory, instructional technology and strategies for working with diverse learners. At the end of your program, you will complete 16 weeks of student teaching to apply what you’ve learned in real elementary school classrooms. We provide personalized placement assistance to identify student teaching opportunities in your local community.
Graduates of the online elementary education degree program are prepared for Praxis® exams and have the initial licensure required to teach at the primary through 5th-grade level. We also offer a dual certification option in special education. Students pursuing the elementary education major may choose to complete a second major in special education, opening doors to more opportunities.
Our faculty are education experts who bring real-world teaching experience into the online classroom. Campbellsville’s education programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and are approved by the Education Professional Standards Board of Kentucky (EPSB) for teacher education and certification.
This program consists of 123 credit hours and includes education, clinical practice and related courses within the elementary education major. The bachelor’s in elementary education online program can be completed in four years or less, depending on transfer credits and previous academic experience.
The General Education component of undergraduate degrees provides the student with a basic understanding of a broad range of subjects. This supports the liberal arts emphasis of the University’s academic mission.
Students will earn one credit for First Year Experience.
- ED 199 Entry to Educator Preparation (CAP 1) (Co-requisite of first education class)
- ED 299 Admission to Educator Preparation (CAP 2) (Prior to enrolling in ED 414)
- ED 399 Application for Student Teaching (CAP 3) (Co-requisite to ED 414)
- ED 499 Program Exit (CAP 4) (Co-requisite to ED 450)
- ED 220 Introduction to Teaching
- ED 300 Human Development and Learning Theory
- ED 310 Instructional Technology
- ED 325 Teaching Diverse Learners
- ED 390 Assessment and Instructional Strategies
Students must complete these courses two semesters before student teaching:
- ED 331 Social Studies Methodology
- ED 341 Math Methodology
- ED 343 Science Methodology
- ED 351 Reading Methodology
- ED 361 Language Arts Methodology
- ED 414 Classroom Management
- ED 450 Student Teaching
- MTH 111 College Algebra
- MTH 201 Math for Elementary Teachers I
- MTH 202 Math for Elementary Teachers II
- BIO 110 Biology
- BIO 104 Biology Lab for Teachers
- GEO 105 Introduction to Earth Science
- GEO 106 Introduction to Earth Science Lab
- CHE 100 Introduction to Chemistry
- CHE 103 Introduction to Chemistry Lab
- PHY 131 Conceptual Physics
- ENG 361 Modern English Grammar
- ED 371 Children’s Literature
- GEG 315 World Geography
- HST 110 U.S. History to 1877
- HST 120 U.S. History Since 1877
- HST 231 World Civilization to 1650
- HST 242 World Civilization Since 1650
- POL 110 American Government
- ECO 110 Introduction to Economics
- SOC 270 Diversity and Community Building
To apply for Campbellsville University’s CAEP-accredited bachelor’s in elementary education online program, students must complete or submit for review the following.
Apply to CU:
- Online application
- Official transcripts, including a complete record of all courses attempted, from each college or university previously and currently attended
- If transferring less than 24 credit hours, submit an official high school transcript
- Minimum GPA of 2.0
Costs & Financial Aid
The online elementary education degree program costs $399 per credit hour. To help students afford their education, Campbellsville University’s staff can work with students to discover available financial aid options.
Students can transfer up to 72 credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university into this program.
Campbellsville University is a military-friendly school and proud to participate in the Yellow Ribbon program. U.S. military service members serving at home or abroad and veterans can further their education in a conducive online environment.
Careers in Elementary Education
After finishing your elementary education degree, you will be qualified to pursue a career as a certified elementary school teacher in Kentucky from primary through 5th grade. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, elementary school teachers earn an average of $60,660 per year. Job growth for this role is expected to grow 7 percent through 2030, as fast as the national average.
Why CU Online?
Focused on Your Growth
Our well-rounded education in the arts and sciences is central to our goal of fostering your personal and professional growth.
Founded in 1906 as a Christian university, we welcome diverse perspectives and prepare students to become Christian servant leaders.
Affordable and Convenient
Campbellsville seeks to provide an affordable education for its students. Our online degree programs are in a convenient format so you can study whenever and wherever you want.
Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates, associate, baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the status of Campbellsville University.
Benefits of Learning Online
Campbellsville University offers several dynamic online degrees so that students can continue their education and hone their skills. Campbellsville’s online campus has been recognized as one of the best by numerous outlets. The institution’s faculty members have real-world experience in their fields, so students can get a glimpse of working in their prospective career. Students can also conveniently fit online coursework into their busy schedules.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
- In the state of Kentucky, you must complete a teacher preparation degree program, pass qualification exams and submit official transcripts to earn a teaching license. CU Online's B.S. in Elementary Education can prepare you to become a certified P–5 elementary education teacher in four years or less, depending on transfer credits.