Design, implement, supervise and assess special education programs and services with CU’s director of special education online certificate.
Director of Special Education Overview
The director of special education online certificate from Campbellsville University provides you with critical leadership skills to impact student learning and advance your career in special education. The program is perfect for those seeking opportunities outside of the classroom, including careers as a special education administrator or program director.
Through the online certification, you’ll explore the best practices related to planning, continuous improvement and quality in special education. You will also discover the legal and ethical aspects of professional practice in American public schools, as well as the administrative responsibilities for special education leadership and supervision. In addition, a practicum course provides supervised field experience in the functions of a director of special education, such as ensuring policies and procedures are enforced, budgeting and the utilization of support services.
If you wish to complete the Level II certification, you will additionally study the theories of learning, effective curriculum planning, instruction and assessment and how to identify and analyze the causes and consequences of issues associated with the delivery of services to students with disabilities. You will also be able to choose from a variety of electives, including contemporary social issues, human development and sociology of deviant behavior.
Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Our director of special education online program is also accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation for Teacher Education (NCATE). The fully online degree offers the flexibility and convenience of being able to complete coursework when it best fits your schedule and is additionally taught by faculty members who have real-world experience in the special education field.
Campbellsville’s director of special education online program can be completed in as little as one year. The certification is 18 credit hours. If taken with the Rank I Master of Arts in School Improvement program, it is 30 credits.
- ED 701: Planning and Leading School Improvement
- ED 703: Ethics and School Governance
- SED 710: Finance and Management
- SED 711: Administration and Supervision of Special Education
- SED 712: Special Education Law
- SED 714: DOSE Leadership Practicum
- ED 702: CIA Connections (Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment)
- SED 715: Seminar: Principles of Conflict Resolution
Take two courses in psychology, sociology or counseling from a list of selected courses:
- PSY 511: Theories of Learning
- PSY 621: Child Development
- SOC 513: Sociology of Deviant Behavior
- SOC 520: Contemporary Social Issues
- SOC 620: Sociology of Family
- SOC 650: Special Topics in Sociology
- COU 520: Human Development
- COU 570: Cultural Competencies
- COU 624: Child and Adolescent Counseling
- ED 705: Effective Professional Development
- SED 716: Special Topics in Special Education
In order to apply to Campbellsville University’s accredited director of special education online certificate, prospective students must submit or complete the following:
- Complete the online application
- Master’s degree or planned fifth-year program
- Official college transcripts confirming a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 or a 3.0 on the last 30 hours
- Copy of valid teaching certificate
- Professional Growth Plan currently on file with the district of employment
- Letter of recommendation from a building or district administrator documenting one of the following:
- Three or more years of teaching in special education
- One year as a special education teacher and two years as a school psychologist
- Three years of experience as a speech language pathologist
- Signed copy of the Kentucky Code of Ethics
- Character and Fitness
- Diversity Survey
- CAP application
- Signed copy of the curriculum contract/guide sheet
Costs & Financial Aid
The director of special education online certificate costs $299 per credit hour. In order to help students afford their education, Campbellsville University’s staff is available to work with students to discover available financial aid options.
Students can transfer a maximum of nine credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university.
Campbellsville University is a military-friendly school and a proud member of the Yellow Ribbon program. Students who are currently serving at home or abroad or are veterans can further their education in a conducive online environment.
Careers in Special Education
After graduating from the program, you can pursue a career as a director of special education. PayScale reports that the median salary for the position is $74,203 per year. Depending on location, experience and the institution, median wages range from approximately $48,500 to $108,500 annually.
Why CU Online?
Focused on Your Growth
Our well-rounded education in the arts and sciences is central to our goal of fostering your personal and professional growth.
Founded in 1906 as a Christian university, we welcome diverse perspectives and prepare students to become Christian servant leaders.
Affordable and Convenient
Campbellsville seeks to provide an affordable education for its students. Our online degree programs are in a convenient format so you can study whenever and wherever you want.
Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates, associate, baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the status of Campbellsville University.
Benefits of Learning Online
Campbellsville University offers several dynamic online degrees so that students can continue their education and hone their skills. Campbellsville’s online campus has been recognized as one of the best by numerous outlets. The institution’s faculty members have real-world experience in their fields, so students can get a glimpse of working in their prospective career. Students can also conveniently fit online coursework into their busy schedules.
Test Drive an Online Course
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
Yes. We offer a generous transfer policy for our online degree programs. Visit our Transfer Students page for more information.
Yes. You will have to complete the FAFSA form, and we will then determine your eligibility for any financial aid. Visit our financial aid page to learn more about your options, which include scholarships and grants.
You can apply to our online degree programs through the online application form. Remember to submit official copies of your high school and/or college transcripts, along with any other required documentation that is specific to your degree program. You can visit the admissions process page to learn more about what to expect throughout the process.