Compound your nursing skills with management expertise and pursue the next step in your career as a trusted nurse leader.
MSN in Health System Leadership Overview
The online MSN in Health System Leadership from Campbellsville University delivers extensive management and leadership training for registered nurses seeking career advancement. The program was developed in response to the growing need for graduate degree-prepared nurses to serve in management and administrative positions. It will equip you with the credential to pursue advanced nursing roles.
With a curriculum founded on Christian principles, this MSN degree focuses on spiritual strength while preparing you to practice compassionate nursing and lead effectively through faith. Courses are taught by a faculty of industry experts who share their real-world nursing expertise in each class. With their support, you’ll elevate your nursing skills to provide quality, evidence-based care to patients throughout the lifespan and contribute to excellence in healthcare by using effective management techniques in diverse health settings.
Course objectives for the online MSN degree are based on the American Organization of Nurse Leaders (AONL) Nurse Executive Core Competencies: communication and relationship building, knowledge of the healthcare environment, leadership, professionalism and business skills. Courses also incorporate the AONL Essentials of Master’s Education in Nursing, including organizational and systems leadership, informatics and healthcare technologies, health policy and advocacy, interprofessional collaboration and more.
Once you’ve completed all required courses, you’ll graduate with the expertise and credential to pursue a variety of nursing leadership positions, including:
- Advanced registered charge nurse
- Chief Nursing Officer
- Director of nursing
- Nurse leader
- Nursing service administrator
Instruction for the online MSN in Health System Leadership program is delivered through Campbellsville’s virtual learning platform. As an online student, you’ll have the flexibility necessary to balance your education with your professional schedule and personal commitments. You can complete the program as a full-time student in as little as two years and as a part-time student in three.
With a curriculum developed by nursing experts with diverse experience, the online MSN in Health System Leadership program examines essential leadership concepts along with advanced nursing topics. Offered with full- and part-time options, the program requires the completion of 38 total credit hours, including 19 core nursing credits and 19 health system leadership credits. Within the health system leadership courses, four include 240 practicum hours.
- NUR 500: Leadership and Role Development for Advanced Nursing Practice
- NUR 501: Healthcare Delivery and Policy
- NUR 502: Advanced Health Assessment and Diagnostic Reasoning
- NUR 504: Healthcare Informatics and Clinical Decision-Making
- NUR 506: Theory and Research for Evidence-Based Practice
- NUR 507: Investigative Project
- NUR 508: Health Promotion and Disease Prevention – Population Health
- CSJ 544: Introduction to Statistics
- BA 604: Health Finance
- NUR 516: Quality and Safety in Healthcare
- NUR 517: Leadership Role Competency in Healthcare (Practicum I, 60 hours)
- NUR 518: Communications and Relationship Management
- NUR 519: Compassionate Leadership in Healthcare (Practicum II, 60 hours)
- NUR 520: Business Ethics and Advocacy
- NUR 521: MSN Capstone I – Caring Theory (60 Practicum hours)
- NUR 522: MSN Capstone II – Scholarly Project (60 Practicum hours)
To apply to Campbellsville University’s online MSN in Health System Leadership program, prospective students must submit or complete the following:
- Online application
- Official Transcript Request Form (via Adobe Sign). In most cases, this will allow us to request your transcripts on your behalf.
- All official college transcripts from each college or university previously and currently attended confirming a cumulative 3.0 GPA
- A copy of a current, valid, unencumbered RN license or listing on a state licensing board website must be submitted. All licenses are verified before admission into the program, and every semester the student is in the program.
- Proof of current employment as a registered nurse (RN) and documentation that you have completed at least 2,000 patient care hours within the last two years
- A curriculum vitae (CV)
- 500-word professional goals essay discussing the following:
- Your career goals
- How your specific clinical experiences have prepared you for the health system leadership role
- Why Campbellsville University is the best fit for you and how the program will assist you in reaching your professional and educational goals
- Three letters of recommendation submitted through the standardized reference form obtained from the enrollment counselor. The following are acceptable individuals for the three letters of reference:
- A current clinical supervisor, nurse, manager or other health care provider who has direct knowledge of your skills in the clinical setting
- A professor, faculty member, Dean of the School of Nursing or academic advisor who can provide a meaningful assessment of your academic record. If you have been out of school for five years or more, a nurse educator or clinical instructor can provide the academic recommendation.
- A practicing clinical nurse professional or APRN who has served as a mentor and can address your abilities as a nurse
- Completed Technical and Performance Standards document
- Background check
Costs & Financial Aid
The online MSN in Health System Leadership program costs $559 per credit hour. To give students more support in funding their education, Campbellsville University is committed to working with students to identify and pursue available financial aid opportunities.
A maximum of 12 credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university can be transferred into this program.
Campbellsville University is a Military Friendly® School and a proud member of the Yellow Ribbon program. Students who are currently serving at home or abroad or are veterans can further their education in a conducive online environment.
Careers in Health System Leadership
Campbellsville University's online MSN in Health System Leadership program prepares registered nurses for advanced nursing administration and leadership positions. In 2019, the median annual salary for nurses who complete an MSN degree was $43,000 more than those who complete only a BSN, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The Bureau also reports that the need for health services managers is currently growing at a rate of 32%, and more than 133,000 new positions in this field will be created by 2029.
Why CU Online?
Focused on Your Growth
Our well-rounded education in the arts and sciences is central to our goal of fostering your personal and professional growth.
Founded in 1906 as a Christian university, we welcome diverse perspectives and prepare students to become Christian servant leaders.
Affordable and Convenient
Campbellsville seeks to provide an affordable education for its students. Our online degree programs are in a convenient format so you can study whenever and wherever you want.
Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates, associate, baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the status of Campbellsville University.
Benefits of Learning Online
Campbellsville University offers several dynamic online degrees so that students can continue their education and hone their skills. Campbellsville’s online campus has been recognized as one of the best by numerous outlets. The institution’s faculty members have real-world experience in their fields, so students can get a glimpse of working in their prospective career. Students can also conveniently fit online coursework into their busy schedules.
Test Drive an Online Course
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
Yes. We offer a generous transfer policy for our online degree programs. Visit our Transfer Students page for more information.
Yes. You will have to complete the FAFSA form, and we will then determine your eligibility for any financial aid. Visit our financial aid page to learn more about your options, which include scholarships and grants.
You can apply to our online degree programs through the online application form. Remember to submit official copies of your high school and/or college transcripts, along with any other required documentation that is specific to your degree program. You can visit the admissions process page to learn more about what to expect throughout the process.
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) Disclosure
RN to BSN
The baccalaureate nursing program at Campbellsville University located in Campbellsville, KY is accredited by the: Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400 Atlanta, GA 30326
The most recent accreditation decision made by the ACEN Board of Commissioners for the baccalaureate nursing program is Initial Accreditation.
View the public information disclosed by the ACEN regarding this program at http://www.acenursing.us/accreditedprograms/
MSN (Family Nurse Practitioner)
Effective March 14, 2019, the master’s nursing program at Campbellsville University located in Campbellsville, KY is a candidate for initial accreditation by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing. This candidacy status expires on March 14, 2021.
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400 Atlanta, GA 30326
View the public information disclosed by the ACEN regarding this candidate program at http://www.acenursing.us/candidates/candidacy.asp