Get a strong biblical introduction with Campbellsville University’s Christian studies associate degree and later apply your credits toward a bachelor’s program in ministry.
A.S. Christian Studies Overview
Exploring areas such as biblical studies, educational ministry and pastoral leadership, Campbellsville University’s online associate degree in Christian studies equips students with a broad background in Christianity. The program fosters Christian values and their place in modern society and provides an understanding of the modern trends that are currently changing ministry worldwide. You will graduate from the program with a foundational understanding of Christian history and perspectives, along with the skills you need to succeed in your chosen career path.
The online Christian studies degree provides a strong biblical introduction, focusing on both the Old Testament and New Testament, theology and biblical interpretation. It additionally covers leadership, pastoral ministry and practical techniques and skills that can be applied to a career in ministry, church administration and more. Finally, the online program offers a selection of electives that allows you to tailor your degree to suit your needs. Choose from courses such as theology in film, Baptist heritage, church history, philosophy of religion and contemporary theology.
You also have the option to further your education with a bachelor’s degree in pastoral ministries or leadership and missions or a master’s degree in theology.
Faculty members who have decades of experience in Christian studies in diverse environments teach the courses, combining theological discussion with the practical application of the subject areas.
Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
The online associate degree in Christian studies consists of 62 total credit hours, with 20 credit hours dedicated to general education courses and 42 hours dedicated to Christian Studies. The degree can be completed in as little as two years, though completion time can vary depending on the amount of transfer credits.
The General Education component of associate degrees provides the student with a basic understanding of a broad range of subjects. This supports the liberal arts emphasis of the University’s academic mission.
Must take this course as part of General Education studies:
- CHS 111: Introduction to Old Testament Study
- CHS 111: Introduction to Old Testament Study
- CHS 121: Introduction to New Testament Study
- CHS 211: Art of Reading the Bible
- CHS 312: Studies in the Old Testament Prophets
- CHS 323: Studies in the Gospels
Take each course on this list:
- CHS 230: Spiritual Formation
- CHS 352: Pastoral Ministries
- CHS 353: Ministry of Proclamation
Choose four courses from this list:
- CHS 354: Introduction to Christian Evangelism
- CHS 355: Introduction to Pastoral Care and Counseling
- CHS 361: Introduction to Educational Ministries
- CHS 362: Teaching for Life Change
- CHS 363: Introduction to Children’s Ministry
- CHS 364: Introduction to Youth Ministry
- CHS 376: Introduction to Missiology
- CHS 378: Missions Methods and Strategies
- CHS 451:Growing a Healthy Church
- CHS 462: Intergenerational Ministries
- CHS 463: Innovative Educational Ministries
- CHS 432: Christian Theology
One course from this list:
- PHI 241: Introduction to Philosophy
- CHS 130: Christ and Culture
Upper Division Courses
One course from this list:
- CHS 337: Theology in Film
- CHS 371: Baptist Heritage
- CHS 431: Contemporary Theology
- CHS 436: Ethical Teachings of Jesus
- CHS 437: Faith and Beauty
- CHS 471: Church History
- PHI 345: Philosophy of Religion
- PHI 361: Ethics
- PHI 380: Special Topics
To apply to Campbellsville’s online associate in Christian studies program, prospective students must submit or complete the following:
- Online application.
- Submit official copies of transcripts from each college or university previously or currently attended, along with a complete record of all courses attempted, to the Office of Admissions.
- If transferring less than 24 credit hours, submit official high school transcript.
Costs & Financial Aid
The online associate degree in Christian studies costs $410 per credit hour. In order to help students afford their education, Campbellsville University’s staff is available to work with students to discover available financial aid options.
Students can fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to find out what scholarships, grants, loans and payment plans are available for them. There are numerous options available, and not all financial aid is based on need.
Students can transfer a maximum of 32 credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university.
Campbellsville University is a military-friendly school and a proud member of the Yellow Ribbon program. Students who are currently serving at home or abroad or are veterans can further their education in a conducive online environment.
Careers in Christian Studies
Those who graduate from Campbellsville University’s online associate degree in Christian studies can advance their career. Potential career outcomes include:
Why CU Online?
Focused on Your Growth
Our well-rounded education in the arts and sciences is central to our goal of fostering your personal and professional growth.
Founded in 1906 as a Christian university, we welcome diverse perspectives and prepare students to become Christian servant leaders.
Affordable and Convenient
Campbellsville seeks to provide an affordable education for its students. Our online degree programs are in a convenient format, so you can study whenever and wherever you want.
Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates, associate, baccalaureate, master's and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the status of Campbellsville University.
Benefits of Learning Online
Campbellsville University offers several dynamic online degrees so that students can continue their education and hone their skills. Campbellsville’s online campus has been recognized as one of the best by numerous outlets. The institution’s faculty members have real-world experience in their fields, so students can get a glimpse of working in their prospective career. Students can also conveniently fit online coursework into their busy schedules.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
- Yes. We offer a generous transfer policy for our online degree programs. Visit our Transfer Students page for more information.
- Yes. You will have to complete the FAFSA form, and we will then determine your eligibility for any financial aid. Visit our financial aid page to learn more about your options, which include scholarships and grants.
- You can apply to our online degree programs through the online application form. Remember to submit official copies of your high school and/or college transcripts, along with any other required documentation that is specific to your degree program. You can visit the admissions process page to learn more about what to expect throughout the process.