Meet the growing demand of IT and computer programming fields through a combination of theory and practice with the M.S. in computer science.
M.S. in Computer Science Overview
With Campbellsville University’s accredited online computer science degree, you can become a leader in information technology and computer systems. Through the 1-2 year program, you will gain a thorough knowledge of software engineering, cyberlaw, programming languages, computer networking and more. After graduation, you’ll be prepared to pursue a career in systems analysis, computer programming and more. And with the program’s fully online format, you will be able to learn from professors who have industry experience on your own schedule.
The master’s degree teaches you how computer systems interact and how to manage and troubleshoot them. Through a course on software engineering, you will acquire hands-on experience by completing a project while exploring software development methods from design to implementation stages. The program examines various database models, such as relational, SQL and network databases, as well as advanced computer operating systems while utilizing UNIX and Windows. Additionally, the degree covers high-level computer programming languages, computer networking and the theoretical and computational aspects of artificial intelligence.
The M.S. in computer science includes 12 credits of business administration courses to help you prepare for a leadership role in the field. You’ll discover the skills, techniques and tools used in the domain of information technology security, including risk diagnosis, security frameworks and wireless security. With a course in disaster recovery planning, you will be prepared to plan and implement organization-wide information assurance initiatives. You will also learn how to make logical decisions on the selection, adoption, application and evaluation of technologies for businesses. Finally, the program explores cyberlaw and how to address various related regulations.
The M.S. in computer science consists of a combination of computer science and business administration courses. Thirty credit hours make up the 1-2 year program.
- CS 161: Programming II (Object Oriented Programming)
- CS 341: Networking
- CS 374: Computer Operating Systems
- CS 420: Database Program Development
- CS 450: Software Engineering
- MTH 210: Calculus
- MTH 200: Discrete Mathematics
- CS 630: Software Engineering
- CS 631: Advanced Database
- CS 633: Advanced Programming Languages
- CS 637: Advanced Operating Systems
- CS 638: Artificial Intelligence
- CS 639: Advanced Topics in Computer Networking
- BA 632: Cyber Security
- BA 634: Current & Emerging Technology
- BA 635: Disaster Recovery Planning
- BA 636: Cyberlaw, Regulations & Compliance
In order to apply to Campbellsville University’s online computer science degree, prospective students must submit or complete the following:
- Complete the online application
- Three reference letters
- Official college transcripts from regionally accredited colleges or universities showing a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5. **
- Statement of Purpose
- An undergraduate CS/CIS major or selected courses*, such as:
- CS 450: Software Engineering or equivalent, or consent from professor
- CS 420: Database Program Development or equivalent, or consent from professor
- CS 161: CIS II or equivalent, or consent from professor
- CS 374: Computer Operating Systems or equivalent, or consent from professor
- 1 semester of calculus
- 1 semester of discrete math
- Updated resume or CV
- For international applicants whose primary language is not English and are not a graduate of a college or university in the U.S., a score of 79-80 on the TOEFL exam, IELTS of 6.0 and Pearson score of at least 53
*Foundation courses are offered if you do not currently meet this requirement.
** Applicants with a 2.499 or lower cumulative GPA are welcome to apply. For applicants in this category, the completion of the GRE or GMAT exam is strongly recommended for admissions review.
Costs & Financial Aid
Our online computer science degree costs $550 per credit hour. In order to help students afford their education, Campbellsville University’s staff is available to work with students to discover available financial aid options.
A maximum of 12 credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university can be transferred into this program.
Campbellsville University is a military-friendly school and a proud member of the Yellow Ribbon program. Students who are currently serving at home or abroad or are veterans can further their education in a conducive online environment.
Careers in Computer Science
Students who graduate from Campbellsville’s online computer science degree can pursue several careers in the field. Some of the potential career outcomes include:
- Software Engineer
- Quality Assurance Engineer
- Software Developer
- Systems, Database, or Network Administrator
- Systems Analyst
- Security Analyst
- IS, IT, or Network Architect
- Computer Science or Computer Information System Researcher
- Cyberlaw, Regulations, Compliance Analyst
Why CU Online?
Focused on Your Growth
Our well-rounded education in the arts and sciences is central to our goal of fostering your personal and professional growth.
Founded in 1906 as a Christian university, we welcome diverse perspectives and prepare students to become Christian servant leaders.
Affordable and Convenient
Campbellsville seeks to provide an affordable education for its students. Our online degree programs are in a convenient format, so you can study whenever and wherever you want.
Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates, associate, baccalaureate, master's and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the status of Campbellsville University.
Benefits of Learning Online
Campbellsville University offers several dynamic online degrees so that students can continue their education and hone their skills. Campbellsville’s online campus has been recognized as one of the best by numerous outlets. The institution’s faculty members have real-world experience in their fields, so students can get a glimpse of working in their prospective career. Students can also conveniently fit online coursework into their busy schedules.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
- Yes. We offer a generous transfer policy for our online degree programs. Visit our Transfer Students page for more information.
- Yes. You will have to complete the FAFSA form, and we will then determine your eligibility for any financial aid. Visit our financial aid page to learn more about your options, which include scholarships and grants.
- You can apply to our online degree programs through the online application form. Remember to submit official copies of your high school and/or college transcripts, along with any other required documentation that is specific to your degree program. You can visit the admissions process page to learn more about what to expect throughout the process.