Master of Arts in Education in School Guidance Counseling Program Information
Begin a new chapter in your education career with the Master of Arts in Education in School Guidance Counseling online degree from Campbellsville University. Learn how to expand your skills beyond the classroom and develop the knowledge needed for school counseling positions, which can help students with their career, social and emotional development needs. Our curriculum explores topics such as cultural competency, substance abuse, group counseling and college readiness. Each course is guided by faculty members with experience in the field.
This program is ideal for teachers looking to advance their career in the field of guidance counseling. The fully online nature of the degree allows you to balance the demands of education with your busy work schedule. Our online courses allow you to access course materials and assignments wherever and whenever are best for you, and we foster an environment of collaboration and support.
This program includes 48 credit hours of courses. While completion time may vary, all coursework can be completed in as little as 18 months.
Required Courses (Each course 3 credit hours unless otherwise noted)
SGC 500 – Counseling Theory and Practice I
SGC 510 – Foundations of Leadership and Ethics in School Counseling
SGC 511 – Developmental Guidance for Elementary School Counselors
SGC 512 – Developmental Guidance for Middle/High School Counselors
SGC 513 – College and Career Readiness for All Learners
SGC 514* – Internship in School Counseling I (1.5 credits)
SGC 515* – Internship in School Counseling II (1.5 credits)
SGC 516** – Internship in School Counseling III
SGC 520 – Human Development
SGC 523 – Counseling Skills
SGC 530 – Counseling Students Impacted by Substance Abuse
SGC 531 – Group Counseling
SGC 532 – Students Victimized by Crisis and Abuse
SGC 540 – Tests and Measurements
SGC 570 – Cultural Competency
SGC 665 – Research Methods
SGC 670 – Action Research Practicum I (1.5 credits)
SGC 675 – Action Research Practicum II (1.5 credits)
* Internship includes 100 hours clinical school counselor fieldwork.
** Internship includes 200 hours clinical school counselor fieldwork.
Note: After successfully completing 32 hours in the program, candidates will be eligible to apply for Rank change without counselor certification. The degree can advance a Rank III to a Rank II or a Rank II to a Rank I in Kentucky.
Course details are based on information available at the time of publication. Specific program requirements are subject to change.
Through the School Guidance Counseling program, you will develop the skills and tools needed to be a voice for change and growth in today’s educational environment There are several benefits students will receive from the instruction offered at Campbellsville, including:
- Courses reach beyond traditional teaching methods and into advanced counseling theory and strategies for connecting with students
- Lessons constructed and taught by experienced school guidance counselors and faculty with real-world experience
- A dedicated support staff prepared to solve educational and technical issues
How to Apply
The Campbellsville University admissions process is simple and straightforward. Follow these steps to begin your journey:
- An online application for admission.
- Official transcript (containing a complete record of all courses attempted) from each college or university attended.
- Copy of valid teaching certificate (for those applying for Rank I only).
- Three disposition assessments.
- GRE scores. GRE requirement waived for candidates with cumulative 3.5 GPA on previous degree.
- A one-page essay on rationale for graduate study.
- State criminal background check.
- Agreement to American School Counselor Association Ethical Standards for School Counselors Commitment.
- Agreement to The Professional Code of Ethics of Kentucky School Certified Personnel Commitment.
Take the next step in your education career. Request more information today.
This program is also available on campus in a traditional format. Learn more about Campbellsville University’s traditional Master of Arts in School Guidance Counseling.