Harness your creative potential as you explore the literature of diverse time periods and cultures.
Master of Arts in English Overview
The Master of Arts in English degree from Campbellsville University Online prepares you to harness your creative abilities and enrich the lives of others through a variety of careers. Delivered through a curriculum rooted in Christian values, the program is designed to transform you into a skilled communicator with the expertise necessary for further academic study and leadership roles.
As an English major, you’ll build foundational skills through core courses and choose electives that focus on your interests and prepare for the career you want. Courses are taught by a faculty of expert educators with years of experience in their fields of study. Supported by their guidance, the degree explores literary criticism and analysis to prepare you for diverse professional opportunities in creative writing, digital copywriting and editing, along with in-demand teaching positions.
Campbellsville University’s online programs can be completed through an interactive classroom that offers flexible schedule options and the freedom to study on your time. As you learn online, you’ll have unlimited access to course materials, along with ample opportunities to discuss course content with your educators and classmates.
Our online MA in English degree consists of 30 credit hours and can be completed in one year. The curriculum includes two core courses and a selection of elective courses that cover literature styles and literary works from diverse periods and cultures. Elective courses allow students to customize their education to focus their studies on their interests.
- ENG 520: Introduction to Graduate Studies
- ENG 530: Composition Theory
- ENG 602: Chaucer
- ENG 605: Shakespeare
- ENG 607: British Literature 1550-1660
- ENG 609: Milton
- ENG 611: British and American Literature 1660–1790
- ENG 612: The English Novel 1660–1790
- ENG 613: Restoration and Eighteenth-Century Drama
- ENG 616: Romantic and Victorian Poets
- ENG 618: Victorian Fiction
- ENG 626: Post-Colonial Literature
- ENG 628: Postmodernism and Contemporary Literature
- ENG 642: Maligned Modernism
- ENG 645: Fragmented Modernism
- ENG 661: Politics and Literature
Two additional Elective Courses and Written Exit Exam OR Thesis 1 and Thesis 2 (6 hours) and an Oral Thesis Defense
In order to apply to Campbellsville University’s accredited online master’s degree in english, students must complete or submit for review the following steps:
- Online application
- Official undergraduate and, if applicable, graduate transcripts
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0*
- A critical, analytic, argumentative research essay of at least ten (10) pages, preferably on a literary topic
- A statement of purpose regarding their enrollment in the online MA in English program
- Three (3) professional letters of recommendation
*Applicants who do not meet the GPA requirement must provide a recent GRE score.
Costs & Financial Aid
The online Master of Arts in English degree costs $419 per credit hour. In order to help students afford their education, Campbellsville University’s staff is available to work with students to discover available financial aid options.
A maximum of 6 credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university can be transferred into this program.
Campbellsville University is a military-friendly school and a proud member of the Yellow Ribbon program. Students who are currently serving at home or abroad or are veterans can further their education in a conducive online environment.
Careers for English Degree Graduates
As a graduate of the online MA in English degree program, you'll have the skills to pursue a variety of careers. Potential career outcomes include:
- Digital copywriter
- Web content manager
- Postsecondary teacher
- High school teacher
Why CU Online?
Focused on Your Growth
Our well-rounded education in the arts and sciences is central to our goal of fostering your personal and professional growth.
Founded in 1906 as a Christian university, we welcome diverse perspectives and prepare students to become Christian servant leaders.
Affordable and Convenient
Campbellsville seeks to provide an affordable education for its students. Our online degree programs are in a convenient format so you can study whenever and wherever you want.
Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates, associate, baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the status of Campbellsville University.
Benefits of Learning Online
Campbellsville University offers several dynamic online degrees so that students can continue their education and hone their skills. Campbellsville’s online campus has been recognized as one of the best by numerous outlets. The institution’s faculty members have real-world experience in their fields, so students can get a glimpse of working in their prospective career. Students can also conveniently fit online coursework into their busy schedules.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
- Yes. We offer a generous transfer policy for our online degree programs. Visit our Transfer Students page for more information.
- Yes. You will have to complete the FAFSA form, and we will then determine your eligibility for any financial aid. Visit our financial aid page to learn more about your options, which include scholarships and grants.
- You can apply to our online degree programs through the online application form. Remember to submit official copies of your high school and/or college transcripts, along with any other required documentation that is specific to your degree program. You can visit the admissions process page to learn more about what to expect throughout the process.